Monday, June 29, 2009

The Alchemist - International bestseller, in my opinion, a skip


I just finished reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, the first book chosen for a brand-spanking-new book club I joined. I had seen and heard of this book for quite a while and always intended to read it someday way down the line. If you've been thinking the same, consider yourself liberated of that mental note. For being named an international bestseller I was quite disappointed. The book is similar to a folk tale chalk-full of your grandmother's pearls of wisdom about a boy and his journey to fulfill his Personal Legend. It contains plenty of inspiring advice, but new? Definitely not. There is a lot of boy becoming one with nature stuff and communicating with the wind and sun and so on. Personally, I can't stand that stuff. I found it redundant and better suited for children. Maybe that is how it is intended to be, but it did not hold my interest. If you read it, feel free to comment.
Tonight we are having our bookclub meeting, at which I will share just as I did here. The biggest disappointment is that the girl who suggested our first read didn't even read it!!! Bah! I'll be wary of her next choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment