Friday, June 26, 2009

Sew! Sew! Sew!


I've recently been in a sewing kick, much thanks to my Biff. For my birthday he bought me a snazzy, computerized sewing machine, the Singer Advance. This thing makes sewing foolproof. It has about twenty buttons to press that create different stitch patterns. I can press a button, push down on the pedal and the sewing machine will create a detailed vine stitch, or a stitch with stars, a floral stitch, or a wiggly stitch. And I can say to people, I sewed that. It ups my sewing cred quite a bit.
Since I've been so excited about it, I signed up for a sewing class and splurged on some fun new fabrics. A friend told me about, fabric designer, Amy Butler, at www.amybutlerdesign.com. She makes the prettiest fabrics! Her website is full of fun sewing ideas and she has free patterns you can print out as well. I ordered the Fresh Poppy fabric in Ivory (pictured) to make a half-sized robe. A little tip: you can find good deals on her fabric on www.Etsy.com. I'll let you know how the sewing project goes.
P.S.
The only problem with having my fancy Singer Advance is that my sewing class uses ancient, heavy duty, manual sewing machines. Eek! I'm a little scared of those suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment